Friday, March 8, 2019

Wide Angle Social Documentary Pics

I have been thinking a lot lately of the type of imagery that I make that I think works best. Of all the formats and types of pictures I do, the type that resonates with my heart the most is the 35mm Tri-x stuff. Work that is harsh, grainy and emotionally in your face effective. To that end I will soon buy a 21mm F4 R lens for my Leica R6 camera (SLR camera). I can focus up close and personal with this lens, as close as 10 inches. It should lead to some visually striking imagery, using a combination of harsh light, grain, distortion and wide angle compositions. In my minds eye I can already see pictures-portraits shot up close this way. I feel it could lead to very compelling and important work. Later on I will lovingly print the photos large to 20x24 using my condenser Durst 1200 enlarger, followed by bleaching and toning.

The strong and powerful  photographs of Eugene Richards come to mind when I think of wide angle social documentary photos.

Sisters mount calver baptist church. Eugene Richards
The old ward of a psychiatric hospital. Asuncion, Paraguay, 2005, Eugene Richards
Mariella shooting cocaine, East New York, Brooklyn, 1992, Eugene Richards
Probable cameras for my May trip to Thai include

- Leica R6 (1 or 2 bodies) with 21mm F4, 24mm 2.8 and 60 F2.8 mm Lens
- Leica M6 with 35mm F1.4

- Canon 5D Mark 3 with 24-105 F4 zoom lens.

Here are some of my examples of the type of photo I was referring to"

Dad in bed, from "My Fathers Last Days", 2014 Canada
Young boy in dump shack, from "Families of the Dump", 2013 Thailand
Artist talk with photo of days, "My Fathers Last Days", 2017 Canada