Sunday, March 31, 2019

Darkroom Number 1 Versus Darkroom Number 2

This is how I hope to use the 2 darkrooms I now have.

Darkroom #1

1) Developing of all sheet film as I have my Jobo processor and tanks at this location.
2) The printing of all larger exhibition prints. My best enlargers, lens, photo paper, sinks are in darkroom #1. I got to use my Durst 1200 enlarger for the big-important prints. I also have a 5x7 and 8x10 enlarger in this darkroom and 2-4x5 version Saunders LPL units.
3) The printing of very large prints.

Darkroom #2

1) Development of all roll films, 35mm and 120 films. I find darkroom # 2 with its deep metal sink, larger work space, music and TV work better for developing film. Film development can be rather monotonous, doing it in a space with entertainment, makes the work easier to do. The only only down side that I can see about developing film in darkroom #2 is that my old style medical cabinet film dryer is not as good as the full sized REAL film driving cabinet in darkroom #1.
2) Wet plate work, experimentation and learning. I will learn wet plate in this darkroom.
3) All platinum printing and other new-old processes.
4) Workshops for students.
5) Possible rentals.
6) Negative organization, contact sheets, cutting, scanning and filing. I have a larger light table, I have the positive viewing device, I have neg binders in shelves, all in this space. I need to organize my lifetime of negatives here. Will try to end my negative search-finding nightmare.
7) Stereo photography, making of stereo prints etc.
8) The printing of very large prints.