Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Blown Away! By " Siam Through the Lens" By John Thomson

This book of wet plate photos by photographer John Thomson made in 1865-66 completely blew me away. Why had I not heard of this photographer before, stunning quality, and power in his imagery. Highly recommended. What an important book, filled with inspirational and moving photographs. I ordered his China book as well (found me a cheaper ex Library copy online). The photos below are from his "Siam" book and I think his "China" book.

Note* Viewing Thompson's work is inspiring. It makes me want to take my 4x5 or 5x7 camera back to Thailand, the dump and elsewhere to make portraits. I might even take the Banarama Polaroid conversion camera with flash! Paying tribute to the people at the dump and elsewhere with beautiful portraits, what is better than that? "Ain't Photography Grand!!!!"

Young Siamese boy, Bangkok 1865
Oarsman, Petchaburi Thailand, 1865
A Boatwoman Guanghou, Guangdong 1869-70
1871, John Thomson in Amoy, China
An old Cantonese Woman, Guangzhou, Guangdong
A Manchu Bride, Beijing 1871-72
A Cantonese Beauty, Guangzhou, Guangdong 169-71
One of 12 white elephants belonging to King Rama IV of Siam
Portrait of a Princess
H.M. King Mongkut, Rama IV
H.M. King of Siam and Procession
A woman from the Manchu, once the dominant ethnic group in China, is photographed as her hair is dressed with flowers