Friday, March 8, 2019

Learning About Tom Thomson

Am reading about the life of famous (not to me) Canadian artist Tom Thomson. He created a great volume work in nature in only 5 years and then died mysteriously (drowned) at 40 in 1917. Did not know anything about his life until a few days ago. I looked at his work and loved it, so emotional and heartfelt, qualities I like best in my art.

Picked up this book "Tom Thomson: The Silence And The Storm" for $30 CAD with free shipping off Amazon.ca, a wonderful, beautifully large art book. Was reading it today and something stuck out for me, about capturing of a spirit of a place. That is what I need to do with my "KANATA" project is capture the spirit of the individual place in Canada I am shooting at the time. Tom Thomson could turn into a big influence on this project. Love the confrontational, emotional rawness of his paintings.

From the book:

"For Thomson, however, the oil sketch became far more than a method to capture an idea for a canvas. What he seemed to be aiming for, although he may not have been conscious of it at first, was not just a snapshot of a pleasing or dramatic scene but a commentary on the spirit of the place...."

The Paintings Of Tom Thomson