Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Photo Idea: Hanging Glass Exhibition Portraits

After looking over a newly arrived Ambrotype of a Victorian lady I had a photo exhibition idea. Why not do a series of glass plates, large plates, 11x14 or larger and hang them (not sure how) in a gallery space for exhibition. I could have black-brown-burgundy on the walls around the image and the viewer could walk around the images and see the true beauty of Ambrotypes on glass. Portraiture, Ambrotypes, 3 dimensional display, this idea could work on so many different exciting levels.

Victorian lady, what the clear glass and brown velvet backed glass looks like
How to make the glass plates? One thought occurs, I could do 4x5 transparency portraits in the new Speed Graphic camera with the great bokeh Kodak Aero Ektar. Then I could make the large Ambrotype plates in the darkroom where I would have total control.

This newest idea might go no where or might end up being something grand! My friend Larry often talks of a show he loved. He saw super large Daido Moriyama prints dramatically hanging in spotlight inside a completely darkened hall. Another example, one time I saw smaller images (glass?, forget now) hanging in a gallery in New Orleans, they were impressive. The thought that the viewer could interact with the portraits, walking around them, seeing them on the glass as both negatives and off the walls as positives, is very appealing. Throw in compelling subject matter like brothel workers "Lost Innocence" or children working and living in a garbage dump "Forgotten Laughter" and you might have a very strong, moving and important  interactive show.

More thought needed on this.

Note* I have lots of 4x5 transparency film, way outdated that might work for this idea. I have trying to figure out a way to use this stuff up for years. Probably have over 500 sheets of various types.  I could also shoot 120mm transparency in a camera like my other newby the Mamiya RZ67. With positives (transparencies) of any kind you can make up Ambrotypes in the darkroom.

Update* You can can get most anything and learn most anything online now. This idea could happen, I have the camera, the film, can do the Ambrotypes and can get the E-6 chemistry to develop the slides. I might be able to use the techniques outlined in the second link to hang the plates. I would have to put the glass plate Amobrotype in a wood or metal frame before hanging. I could attach the hanging wire to the frame.
Argentix (Based in Quebec) E-6 And Other Colour Chemical Options
Hanging Stain Glass

Update ** Here is a link to some glass hanging supplies. Suction cups might also be an option for the lighter and smaller plates (2-3 per glass plate). If the Ambrotypes fall then they fall, I can always make another one in the darkroom. It would be important to hang everything securely to avoid any falling glass injuries.
Glass Hanging Supplies

Update*** Maybe I could call this hanging contraption of Ambrotypes, an Ambrolight (it is sort of like a chandeler).
Hanging stain glass samples