Friday, September 16, 2016

Haunted By Glass PIctures

The look and feel of clear and coloured glass photographs have started to overwhelm my thoughts. I have always loved metal based wet plate like tintypes and alumitypes etc but there is something truly special about having an image on glass. An image you can see as both a negative and positive by twisting and moving it a bit in the light. The 3 dimensional feel of it is so exciting and unique. It seems less like a photo and more like you have captured a piece of that persons soul INSIDE THE GLASS.

It is all so internal and subtle but these feelings towards the glass image excite and motivate me. The need to make photographs like this, my own Ambrotypes will propel me down the long difficult road of this very temperamental process. This feeling will get me off may lazy ass and working to create something special. Photography is always such a new and exciting journey for me, it continues with this my latest voyage.

This partially damaged Ambrotype of a young women, one of the cheaper ones I bought at  $12.35 USD, inspires and haunts me. I will carry this piece of glass with me the next few days, watch and think over the message it is sending me. It should lead me down an important inspirational pathway.

Haunting effect of photos made on glass