Thursday, September 1, 2016

Got My 14x17 Camera!!!

Got my 14x17 camera today along with 2 holders. The camera/holders are of the same design as the 11x14. So once again as expected these rate about a 7/10 with 2 holders of lesser value (but usable). The camera is relatively light for such a large piece of equipment and has a bellows draw of about 36 inches (see photo). I am quite happy with this camera, this whole thing cost me $1375 USD including large heavy package shipping to Canada from Hong Kong. There were no extra duty or taxes charges once again.

The cameras design can be a bit shaky at times but is lightweight to carry which makes up for the slight vibration when fully extended. As I get older and more fragile I need something I can still lug about. When it is all locked down things are stable enough, especially in the no or low wind situations I will be shooting this ULF  in. It also seems to sit quite comfortably on my more light weight Reis tripod with Manfrotto geared head. I might be able to use it this way in the field. The folded up camera feels easy to carry and transport thou the bellows does bag up a bit. The bellows seems very well made, heavy duty, strong and light tight. It should last my lifetime and be very very durable.

Am quite happy with this latest and potentially last ULF camera buy. I now own 3-8x10s, a ULF 11x14, a ULF 14x17 and a ULF 16x20 camera. With this 14x17 I plan to specifically use for X-ray and wet plate photography, not sure I will use any normal film in it at all.

Later I will be doing some add ons to the camera. Will add a velcro bellows support system (to prevent bellows sag) like on "May Lee" my 16x20 and a second bubble level. I also will be doing these add ons to my 11x14 camera.

Note* This camera might even be a better deal than the 11x14. I paid basically the 11x14 price for both but the 14x17 holders and the 14x17 camera are much larger, more materials. Like paying for a large size shirt and getting a 2XX Large :)))! Now time to make some outstanding photos! That is what this is all about after all!

Note** The new modern made Chamonix 14x17 has a bellows extension of about 40 inches (mine is 36). One advantage if I ever did get a 11x14 or 14x17 reduction back for my 16x20 camera I would have more bellows to work with.

Note** A thought just occurred to me.  I might be able to get extension back rails of some kind made for the rear standards of both these cameras. I have enough bellows left so if I did get the extensions (made of metal? wood?) I could probably get 4-5 inches more bellows extension per camera. More bellows means I can focus closer, always a good thing!

Note*** Just had another thought. Instead of adding 2 extensions to the back of the cameras I could add 1 to the front! Something like this should not be that hard to make. I could get one extension made that I could use with both the 11x14, and 14x17. It might also work with the 16x20.

Update* The rear right metal corner clamp on the camera is a bit wobbly. The wood-screws seem to be stripped a bit and loose, causing a tiny-slight sag. Eventually with use this problem will probably become worse.

Not sure how I can fix this issue. Bigger screws? New wood piece? Putty of some kind added to the holes and then put the screws in again? It is not an issue unless the bellows is fully extended, otherwise I can use the camera base to support that area. Most of the shooting will be done this way with the added support of the base. Still a bit of a downer, lots of weight placed on 4 screws in this design when the bellows is fully extended (a design flaw?). Removing the existing screws and adding longer screws might do the trick. This seems to be the only damage or wear I can find on the camera that might cause problems in the future. The camera is about $4000 USD cheaper than a new Chamonix so you got to take the good with the bad here.

Update** My camera screw problem is very minor at present but "Uncle Knackers" solution might eventually work for me. I could do what he suggests used in combination along with a slightly longer wood screw.
Uncle Knackers Stripped Wood Screw Suggestions

Here are some photos of the new/used 14x17 camera in my ever more crowded darkroom.

The 11x14 and 14x20 cameras side by side
35-36 inch bellows extension
Back view of my preferred plastic ground glass
Front view with  Ilex process lens (not sure it has enough coverage)