Saturday, November 9, 2013

Wash Down Procedure

Every day after returning from the dump I follow a set procedure, my wash down thingy. When I enter the hotel room my clothes (mostly pants) stick from the dump and I am covered in dirt and other things. I take off my rubber boots outside the door then dump my camera gear, empty my pockets and head to the toilet (Thai word for washroom).

In the washroom I strip down naked and throw my socks in the sink and hand wash them, then its my boxers and my shirt. I then take a quick shower with lots of soap which feels owe SO SO SO GOOD!. I rewash my socks, boxers and shirt with soap and water (the first time its only water). Then its on to the pants, the pants are quick dry things that are great but by the time I leave the dump everything below the knees is pretty much smelly and disgusting. I wash and soak the pants for the next 10 minutes or so draining out the black/brown water each time. Eventually I move on to soap and water with the pants as well. The final step is to wash down the outside and bottoms of my rubber boots. When everything is pretty well semi clean I squeeze out all the water from the clothing and take another body shower with soap, soaking under the hot water for a long time.

After the 2nd body shower I hang up all my wet freshly washed clothes and put on my relaxing room a/c clothes, a black t-shirt and big red boxers, I am quite a sight! Then I have a quick meal. The next day I reuse the same clothes again, after a few days I put the whole get up into the hotel wash where they do a proper clean.

It is so nice to get that smell off my body, that sort of rotten sickly stink that permeates the dump. Today when I was in my hot shower I thought what a treat it would be for the people there, I wish I could give each of them a hot shower, and hair wash. Followed by soft white towels and fresh clean clothing. If it was possible to do such a thing I am sure everyone would really enjoy it. How many of them have had a hot shower before?