Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Interacting Properly

One of the things I have worked on for a few years is how to interact with people properly when making photos of strangers. Recently I watched a documentary on the great photographer James Natchwey

 http://www.ted.com/talks/james_nachtwey_s_searing_pictures_of_war.html

who spoke of the way he approaches people and the importance of doing this in the proper way. This trip I have been concentrating more than ever on the way I approach people and make photographs.

I have found the most important part of the technique is to approach with out menace, to try to not interfere in what my subject is doing and to acknowledge them in a friendly way when they notice you. It is important to know how to say hello and thank you in their native language, whether that is Thai, Burmese, Cambodian or Nepalese.

Hello - Burmese =  Ming-gau-lau-bau
         - Khmer (Cambodian) = Sok-sau-by
         - Thai = Sawat-dee-khup
         - Nepalese = Naum-mus-stay

Thank you - Burmese = Zay-zoo-din-bah-day
                 - Khmer = Oh-koon-jau-run
                 - Thai = Khop-khune- khup
                 - Nepalese = Daun-nii-baud

When someone notices me, I usually say hello with the appropriate hand greetings (unless my hands are filled with cameras). I also smile and nod at most of the people who notice me, this gesture quite often brings a return nod and sometimes a smile. Once you have sort of established this polite rapport the rest of the photo making usually goes easier. Many times the people will invite you into their homes as well or offer you food and drink, this happened to me in the landless people area 2 days ago and the brick making area yesterday.

Politeness, respect and slow cautious movements all work together to create atmosphere that makes the subject comfortable (usually) with your sudden appearance and photo making. Many people I know in Canada are afraid to make photos of strangers, the trick is, do not treat them like strangers! Be polite, talk to them, maybe make some small gifts (candy, rice, color snapshots) and you will be given access. More importantly you will be invited into unique exciting worlds and have positive memories that will last you a lifetime.