Saturday, November 9, 2013

Donna 26, The Girl With Frightened Eyes

Met a new girl in the dump today, a girl named Donna 26 years old. Donna had frightened skittish eyes just like the young boy in the next blog. I have no idea what Donna's life has been like but some terrible shit must have happened. She looked so frail, so vulnerable, so beaten up by life. I saw her from atop a hill of garbage and moved down to the little cut up chair she was sitting on. I offered her a small candy and tried to speak to her. Donna speaks Thai so we were able to learn a bit about each other. I told her about my life in Canada and she told me a tiny bit about her life. She had been in Thailand for about 7 years, she is here with her Mother, she is new to the dump, has no children or husband.

As we talked I took a few photos, but she looked a bit trapped in her chair and I could not get anything of value. After we had talked for 10 minutes or so I offered her some money and at first she refused but later on with a smile and a big wai (putting her hands together in thanks and then raising them up to her face) she took the money. I said goodbye and wished her well and then left. When I  got back on top of the hill and reloaded film in my 3 cameras she had disappeared, I am not sure where she went.

Is she a victim of the brothels? HIV positive? I hope I can meet her again and learn more about her life. I will try to give her and her mother a care package of rice tomorrow.