Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Latest Email Home

I was not going to send any more of these emails but yesterday got a bit of positive feedback so decided to send one last one. I am now done shooting, I shot the last of my film yesterday morning, making a grand total of 206 films shot! Yesterdays subjects were around the bricking making areas outside of Kathmandu. No bricks were actually made but I did some other work. I photographed amongst other things:

-tenant farmers (nomads) working the fields with very primitive tools
- young male brick workers (Bangladeshi workers?) starting their day out smoking some kind of drug ( hashish? big boss politely asked me to stop making those photos so it must be illegal).
- men shoveling coal
- 3 women workers loading brick into small trucks, they did 34 at a time off a sling off the back of their heads, rather incredible, it must have been very heavy, I lifted one brick and it was close to the weight of my Leica rangefinder).
- a number of children
- a number of landscape shots, from above and distant shots of smokestacks (part of the brick making process involves large stacks).

The day before yesterday I photographed along the river where the landless people live (in shacks)...not sure I got much this day, sort of screwed up and missed the really good area, might try to get the better area next trip. Lots of begging here, plenty of requests for money but also very kind and helpful people everywhere.

Anyway that's the last one. Arda from the mono guild camera club suggested we might try a photo festival here in Edmonton. Anyone interested in that? Lets talk abit about that, maybe we could get 2 or 3 galleries interested and have something in the summer or in the fall...

Thanks for your patience

PS...also one more question for all of you, please advise if you know anything about this. If I do the documentary video project on the Leprosy advocate Raj, I will need to get a HD video camera with some power to it. I would want the documentary to be professional so need a high end camera, one that I could use a normal lens with and possibly some kind of wide angle (the clinic is very small and confined)...if you have any sites, info on cameras or general advice please send me a note and we can talk privately about it...I am very limited in experience when it comes to video so this is new ground for me.

Thanks again Gerry