Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Raphael's "The Madonna Del Granduca"

Been thinking a lot lately of this Madonna painting by Raphael. Christ looks like a bit of a trouble making naughty boy but I love the way Mary holds her son, the delicateness of it, the love, also her expression of complete contentment. There is a glorious beauty to this work. Raphael died so young, only 37. What could he have done, created, said with his work if he had been allowed more time. We all need to use the time we have wisely.

I  need to try to capture an important mother-child portrait like this. A mother and her love for her child is one of the most beautiful themes available in art.

Note* Wonder what the real works colors are like, green or blue? I was in Florence Italy (saw Michelangelo's "David") but missed this great Raphael work. I did not know it when I was in Italy. A missed chance there, need to go back and see it.

"The Madonna del Granduca" by Raphael 1505