Tuesday, January 29, 2019

I Need Darkness!!

Well have started to light proof darkroom #2. I have 1 small and 2 larger windows in the space (1 is very large). With my light proofing I wanted to try something a bit different this time around. Instead of permanently sealing up the windows I wanted to try to rig up something that would allow me to open the windows and get some fresh air flow. My neighbourhood is fairly dark, there is only one house nearby, so I might be able to open the windows on nice summer nights while printing. I could also open the windows during the daytime when I am not printing but need some beautiful fresh air flowing through the space. Darkrooms do not have to be clinical autopsy places, they do not have to be dirty dark chemical smelling holes in the ground, they can be beautiful and friendly, in fact they should be that way, it helps inspire the soul!

Here is my plan, not sure it will work but going to give it a go. I bought some light proof plastic material off Amazon that is white on one side and black on the other. I am cutting the plastic to fit the individual window panes then attaching it with non sticky residue black gaffer tape (expensive stuff). I am not sure the back glass pane piece of plastic will allow for the top window to slid over top of it, back and forth, but it might, here's hoping!!

Some photos of the first pane (smallest window) covered in the material along with some links to the plastic and tape, in case this works and you all want to give it a go!

Plastic Material
60 Yards Gaffer Tape

Views of the window