Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Latest Darkroom #2 Update

Well the painting in darkroom #2 is finally completed. I think I painted everything 5 times in every colour of the rainbow! Now am starting to bring in all the darkroom gear as well as more personal touches, the room is becoming quite congested.

I picked up a small Sony stereo today (CD player, cassette player, radio) for $25, an excellent deal. I hooked it up to the Sony speakers and added in 2 Pioneer speakers I got from the same seller for $10. The sound quality is pretty damn good, not bad at all, certainly good enough for me. Was listening to the Beatles Anthology CD tonight as I cleaned, and mopped and arranged the room. Music will make the room more alive. Later on I plan to hook up my cordless headphones (got from work for free) to the system.

In the darkroom I also have a reading area, complete with comfortable chair. I will be browsing my art-photo books as well as reading some poetry and novels in my darkroom down time. I will also just go down there to read when I am not printing. Added a TV with DVD player to the room on dad's old swing TV stand for $40, and a small fridge ($65) for storing film and some cold water (will keep all the drinking liquids and glasses etc. always inside the sealed fridge for health and safety reasons).

Also put up some of my old pics found from younger days as well as some of the higher quality, framed, newer stuff. Tonight I brought over a bunch of my show posters-adverts from various galleries that I have exhibited at since 2013. It sort of gives the place a bit of movie poster feel to it.

The darkroom is feeling very nice and cosy, and will be a very personal and fun place to hang. I cannot wait until I make my first Platinum-Palladium print in the space.

"Ain't Photography Grand!!!"

Note* The next step is to make the 3 large windows light tight, and then finish my sink stand. Next week off I plan to bring in an electrician for an estimate on putting in some ventilation and will call in the plumber to hook up the 3 darkroom sinks I will have in the space (2 older sinks also on the other side of the room). The darkroom should be completed, by March 1, at least I hope so. Spring is on the way and I have a new darkroom to create, print and dream in. Does life can any better than that? Not for me!!

Note** The cat is from my Baba and Gido's (grandma and gramps) old home.

Enlarger table, have 3 set up, might bring in another 2 or possibly 3 more
Largest sink, will use for washing film, trays etc.
Light table area with Mr. Picasso watching
Sink #2 and Sink #3
View from the far end of the darkroom
$65 fridge and $25 Sony stereo
Penticton Art Gallery "Families of the Dump" show card, and  Rosebud Alberta exhibition for the Families and  Dad
My chess area, want to vastly improve my game, playing online matches as as I print and review  chess books
"The Train is Coming" Bangkok Klong Toey Slum advert
My little library of art, photo, poetry, novels and chess books
Advert, Artist Statement for the Thai Sex Worker portrait show at the VAA
View from the other angle of the darkroom
Another view from the other side, the chair is for reading and resting
Another view of the book area
Stand for trays etc, still needs to be cleaned
Second cupboard with a 4th and 5th sink left over from my fathers cooking days
Movable table with the large $25 UV exposure unit
Final view from the fridge side of the darkroom