Monday, August 1, 2016

Free Respirator From Work

Had a good experience at work this last week. I had asked some people in the lab (I work night time security at a petro chemical plant) about which respirator to buy for the various wet plate chemicals I will be using. I will be handling many carcinogenic substances, acids, ether (explosive) and might even be dealing with a deadly poison (potassium cyanide). My coworker in the lab told me to forward my query to the head of the maintenance department.  I did as he recommended and yesterday after work I brought home a box with a FREE respirator and cartridges home with me. The head of Maintenance set it up for me. He is the same great guy who also set up the dump fundraiser before my last trip that raised over $500.

You got to love the company I work with, PPE (personal protection equipment) is all important and they support its use amongst their employees even away from the work environment. Even when they are doing crazy shit type stuff like 1850s wet plate! You got to love it!

I plan to use full PPE whenever I handle the dangerous chemicals of wet plate. Proper safety equipment includes, safety glasses (or goggles), gloves and a respirator. I now have everything I need to work safely. I will continue to educate myself, have some of the knowledge I need but still have so much to learn. Knowledge is power after all, I want to make sure I do everything as safely as I can.

Note* The respirator I was given  is a higher quality unit than what I would have bought on eBay. Sometimes its great to be a guard!