Friday, August 26, 2016

Links: Got My Large-Strong Russian Tripod Today

Got my Russian era (strong like bull) tripod today. It is quite heavy and bulky but also very sturdy, tall and strong. This thing is all metal and wood, very solidly made (in a tractor factory?). It could live through decades of Russian and or Canadian winters.

I am ordering a second one of these from the seller in Belarus. I want to use these 2 large Soviet era tripods as the legs for a wooden camera platform. I plan to place my 16x20 camera "May Lee" on top of that platform. I could also use this platform-tripods setup with a possible future extremely heavy 24x32 inch wet plate Chamonix Camera ($11000 USD). The idea is to have a wooden platform that the camera will simply and securely sit on as in the Luther Gerlach linked video. My tripod configuration should be quite a bit more sturdy-strong than his is. If I set this thing up near the Arctic Ocean somewhere to do wet plate, it should work. With the winds howling and water spraying my camera should be safe and secure with no movement.
Three Graces ULF Mammoth Wet Plate Video

I got todays tripod for $60 USD, and $50 USD shipping, well worth the price. Here is the original purchase blog with pics. I just ordered my second "Strong Like Bull" tripod. The whole tripod issue with ULF cameras seems to be mostly solved now.
Soviet Era Tripod Purchase Blog