Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Photo Story: Refugee Children Portraits

These photos of child refugees were made in the Mae La refugee camp Thailand in November of 2015. The residents of the camp have escaped war and political persecution in Burma, most of the people I spent time with were from the Karen ethnic group. Mae La has been open for decades meanings many children born in the camps have lived there their entire lives. One boy of about 17 asked if I had ever been to Burma, I said "I had", he said "I have never been to Burma". Imagine that, living in a Thai refugee camp mere miles from the Burmese border all your life and never being able to visit your own country.

I was only in the camp for 1 night, I made these photos on the night of my arrival or the next morning before I left the camp. Wandering amongst the people in and around their homes was a joyful experience, one I would love to do again. The Karen people I met in Mae La refugee camp were wonderful, a joy to be around.

All pics were made with a Rolleiflex F 2.8 and a Rolleinar #1 allowing for closer focusing. The f stop was 2.8 or 2.8 1/2 at a shutter speed of around 1//125 on Tri-x exposed at 200 ASA.