Friday, August 5, 2016

Got My ULF Chamonix Wet Plate Holder Today

Today I got my ULF wet play holder for 16x20 camera "May Lee". What a ascetically beautiful piece of equipment. The people in China who make Chamonix camera gear really do a good job. This simple little wet plate holder is a wonder to behold, part wood, part carbon fibre, everything fits smooth and slick together. I do not think I have seem something hand made of wood that looks or operates as well.

The holder is a separate unit that does not snap onto the back of the camera but instead slides in behind the ground glass (plastic on my camera), just like a regular film holder. The 24x24 Chamonix camera I was looking at and did not buy in Calgary a few weeks back had a separate holder that snapped onto the camera back which is a bit more of a cumbersome method. You have to remove the ground glass then add the holder to the back of the camera, versus just sliding the holder in. I think I prefer the sliding in method. It is much faster (collodion dries quickly) and there is probably less chance of accidental camera-focus movement. The Calgary camera might have been an older design, not sure, the seller claimed it was new, but that may not have been the case. Guess I will find out later when and if I buy my 24x32 Chamonix wet plate camera. Will that camera have snap on or a slide in wet plate holder?

With my new holder it took me a bit of time to figure out how to add the wooden inserts to the back allowing for different format sizes. I have got that down pretty well now and it works smoothly for me. I wonder how everything will hold up to the deteriorating effects of silver nitrate and collodion eating at the wood etc. Hopefully I can get a lifetime of use out of this thing. 30 years if I live and shoot it till 82 (like dad), or 25 years if I am able to do this type of photography till 77. If I only live another 20 years to 72, surely it will last that long. I will need to wipe down the holder carefully during and after each use.

With the adaptor inserts I have the capability to use today's holder as a 16x20, a 12x20 and a 16x16 camera. Imagine 16x16 tight portrait head shots done with clear glass to make ambroypes on asphaltum, WOW! Stunningly strong portraits. I can't wait to start taking them.

I feel some great photos can be made, I just got to have the drive and determination to make them as I become older and weaker. I cannot let my age be a reason not to make important pictures. No excuses Gerry, only photographs. I hear too many excuses of why NOT to make pics from too many people, that will not be me. I need to drive myself hard, go all out. As they say in one of my favourite comedies , 'Galaxy Quest', "NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER!" Lets make photos as we age without excuses. Never give up, never surrender!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Maybe one day when I am in the field, exhausted and in need of something to help me, drive me to the next photograph I can "ACTIVATE THE OMEGA 13". :))