Saturday, August 13, 2016

Photo Idea - Link: Darkroom Wetplate Project, "Short Time Girl"

Been thinking of a possible darkroom photography project I can do this  coming winter. Met a photographer online who does some amazing darkroom wetplates, here name is Rachael Merrick. Rachael does both on black glass and on metal.
merrickwetplatephotography.com 

It got me thinking that I should try to expose some of my positives (slides/tranparencies) on to collodion. I could make either tintypes (alumitypes) or ambrotypes. The slides I would use are from a project I did back in  2003 when I lived 1 year in Thailand.  I did a series of portraits on sex workers in the rooms they took their customers. I have a bunch of slides from that period which I have never done much with other then posting a few on this blog. I think I might even have a bag of still undeveloped Agfa slide 120mm in my garage freezer. I could gather up all those images, then create a series of  10 or 15 wet plates, either on black-ruby glass 8x10s-11x14s or on clear glass before using asphaltun to create a nice black background.

Something to think about and something that I could do effectively to pass the time during this next LONG Canadian winter. I could be making gallery submissions by spring next year. I could be receiving my gallery submission rejection notices by next fall! : )) Just think of it!

Being gallery rejected matters not. It is important to try to get these worker stories finally told. Many of the girls I photographed may no longer be around, some may have died of AIDS as the pictures were made 13 years ago. Not sure what kind of medical care they would have received if they had been HIV positive in 2003 or in the years that followed. They might be all but forgotten (outside of family member memories) except in the portraits I made of them. It is important to show who they were, to communicate and tell a small story about them. Their lives mattered and they should be remembered. These tintype, ambrotype photogaphs would also be a warning and education into the lives of all the women currently working in that world.

What to call it? Maybe, "Short Time Girl". Short time is a word used in the bar world of Asia to describe a short time period of sex bought by a Western sex tourist, usually 1 or 2 hours, or until the guy finshes. When a customer pays for a girl to leave her bar or from the street, he usually pays "short time" for a an hour or so or "long time" which is for overnight or longer.