Monday, August 29, 2016

Soviet Tripod #2 Now On Its Way

Paid for my second "Russian Strong Like Bull!!" tripod today. This one also cost $110 USD, $60 for the tripod ($10 discount) and $50 for shipping. The eBay seller ships these things via boat from Belarus, so it takes quite a while for them to reach my door in Canada but the shipping cost is cheap for something so large and heavy, and these former Soviet military (?) tripods are very large and heavy. Using 2 Soviet era tripods in combination with a homemade platform between them I can securely mount the ultra ultra large 24x32 wet plate camera easily. Not sure I will ever buy this camera but if I do, I am now set. My 16x20 "May Lee" Chamonix can be easily handled with this set up as well, probably a bit of over kill there. One super large tripod might be enough used with a monopod or small tripod on the front standard.

Am happy I ordered and paid for this second Soviet unit now, all my tripod leg problems seem solved. I might still buy a larger Reis style head at some point, not sure just yet.