Saturday, August 13, 2016

Photo Idea: Colour 4x5 Slides To Ambrotype Heads

Just had another wacky darkroom wet plate idea. I have a freezer filled with all kinds of outdated 4x5 transparency film. Why not gather all that up, go to Asia find a subject and do head portraits. Later I can bring back that film, develop it in E-6 (still available?) chemistry and then make wet plate portraits, large portraits on glass. I could place the 4x5 slides in one of my colour head enlargers (have 4 I could use in my darkoom) and then expose them onto glass plates and make me some wonderful Ambrotypes.

Am not sure I can do darkroom wet plate photos yet. Am not sure how outdated or what effect teh old film would have. Heck am not even sure I will be doing photos in Asia next. Other than that, a wonderful idea.

I have been trying to figure out a way to use that old 4x5 sheet film, this might be it!