Friday, August 12, 2016

Got My 11x14 Camera Today

Got my 11x14 camera today in the mail with no extra shipping charges. The camera on a scale 1-10 is probably about a 7. It is a home made copy of a Chamonix design. Materials are not as high quality as a real Chamonix but this unit is way, way, cheaper. I paid $1100 USD, new Chamonix 11x14s run at $4250 USD (with a possible small discount). My camera is not as pretty, with more plastic parts and no carbon fibre but it should work out just fine. The camera seems completely function with a plastic-wood and metal parts, the ground glass is plastic (just like an original Chamonix). I prefer a plastic non breakable ground glass now, it is what I put into all my  view cameras. The bellows is heavy well made and light tight, the focusing mechanism silky smooth. You always want the prettiest tools but this camera I am quite happy with.

The two 11x14 holder also look pretty good, not great but adequate. I need to test them to see if they are light tight. I might try shooting some film in it this coming week off work. I got some HP5 11x14 from B&H photo last week. I have the option to buy 4 more from the seller in Hong Kong, not sure if I will or not. I might be better off getting my Czech builder Filip to make me some.

So overall a good buy I think and a very useful functional camera that I can use for both wet plate and film photography. I feel happy! Now lets make some pics.

Update* One good thing about using a camera that is not super pretty is that if you get it banged up a bit who cares! You can shoot in the rain or in other bad weather and not worry too much! As long as it can make pictures, nothing else matters. I will have no trouble taking this camera with me to Asia, Africa, where ever. No problem using it with the nasty chemicals of wet plate etc. I think this will be a heavy use camera.  A more substance than style thingy.
Update** Another point in it's favor, it is reasonably light, which means I can transport it through airports and airplanes world wide with less STRAIN! I am glad I bought my first 11x14, always wanted one, now I got a good one.
Update*** I wish I could do some portraits of dad with this camera, too late for that now.
Update**** The more I look at this camera the more I see how really solidly made it is. Lots of screws, bellows very thick, lots of thought put into making everything rigid and durable. Could this be some kind of early Chamoinix camera prototype?

11x14 bellows extended
11x14 camera front
11x14 holders
11x14 camera back