Wednesday, August 10, 2016

11x14 Wet Plater Holder Arrived As Well

I also got my 11x14 glass plate holder today. The holder was very well packaged in an oversized box with foam pellets and bubble wrap. My new holder looks to be in great shape especially considering its age. They really made things to high standards back in the day.

Strange thing is, is that it has 2 dark slides with a plastic insert in the middle (taped on). I believe this was originally made to use with glass dry plates type, Edward Curtis used glass dry plates for his photography, a new development at that time. In the days before they figured out how to make film with plastic they put the light sensitive emulsion on glass base instead. I was told by the seller I could insert wet plates into the holder where the dry plate would have gone and do wet plate photography. I think doing wet plate in this dry plate designed holder should work out fine.

Here is a current thought thou. Can I insert 2 wet plates into the holder at the same time and then do 2 exposures of a portrait subject then develop them before they dry out and are useless? I would have to be able to coat 2 plates with collodion, sensitize them in silver nitrate (3-4 minutes each), expose the plates, and develop the plates within 10-15 minutes. Not exactly sure how much time I would have to do the 2 plates as it depends on many factors, type of collodion (more alcohol allows in the collodion gives slower dry times), how humid the working environment is etc. Not sure it would be practical 2 wet plate images at the same time, but heck I have 2 sides on the holder and doing 2 shots of a sitter back to back (slightly different types) might be VERY beneficial. It is certainly worth thinking about.

Anyway, the 11x14 wet-dry plate holder is in the fold, now just waiting on the Camera! All the wet plate gear for the various systems is coming together now. I plan on buying a ice fishing tent (mobile darkroom) and doing some developing in the field soon, possibly this year or at the latest next spring. I still need to get all the chemicals together as well as the glass plates/trophy aluminum etc.