Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Oops! Just Paid $1267 For A Camera!

For a guy who stopped buying cameras I sure am buying a shit load of cameras! Ok that's it got to take a few years off on the camera buying thingy.

I just bought a Graflex RB 4x5 in great condition, it will cost me $1267 CAD. This is probably more of a toy to look at, a historical camera to put on a shelf and hold as a collectors item more than an actually shooting camera. Buying this was probably a mistake, not sure. I have a friend here in town who shoots one so maybe that is an option. It is also a camera that Edward Weston, Alfred Stieglitz, Dorothea Lange and the all time great Lewis Hine shot with. Maybe I can shoot it too!

Still a ton of bills to pay now, for the Makina 67, the Nikonos V and now the Graflex RB 4x5.  I hope I get my tax refund I need it!

OK Gerry no more cameras, time to start saving again for the November Asian Trip. Enough of this camera buying shit!

Below are the photos of my new (very old, 1930s?) Graflex RB 4x5.

Note* The grafmatic film back is also included in the auction, tho if I do not use the camera that is one hell of an expensive back! I use the grafmatic backs with my Linhof camera and Dean Jones Banarama Polaroid conversion 4x5 camera.

Note** I am in a bit of shock that I won this camera, that I own this camera. I put a max bid of $861 USD on this camera and got it for that price. With shipping and duty it works out to $1267 CAD.

Update* I have been doing research to try and figure out how old my camera is. The original new date I was finding was 1952, the latest info I can find says these cameras the Graflex RB 4x5 Super Series D were made from 1941-1963. If that is true and I have a 1960s version, thats not too old! Another site said this about these cameras, hope it is true! Especially #4!

Update** The latest I am reading on the manufacture dates for this camera are between 1948-1958.
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Graflex%20Series%20D/index.html
The 4 x 5 inch Super D was manufactured from 1948 up till 1958 basically equipped with the semi automatic diaphragm 152 mm Kodak Ektar lens or the Kodak Ektar  190 mm - f=5,6.

THE FOCAL-PLANE SHUTTER--All Models

    This type of shutter is so-called because it operates close to the focal plane of the lens (the location of the film). Its principal advantages are:
    1. ready interchangeability of lenses,
    2. high efficiency,
    3. ability to produce extremely short exposures, and
    4. long, trouble-free life.
I got the shutter info from the site linked below. They also have an instruction manual for the camera, you got to love the internet! You can learn anything.