Sunday, May 3, 2015

It's Alive!

Went into the darkroom to set up for film development. While I was in there I dumped out yesterdays tray of Dectol paper developer. Inside the tray was a large centipede which somehow was still alive, when I dumped out the chemistry into my sink the insect started moving. Usually I squish these things, ugly creatures, make my skin crawl, just like finding cockroaches in Thailand (cockroaches are worse!). Some how today that seemed wrong this time. After surviving that lethal chemical bath of developer, killing it in a tissue seemed the wrong thing to do. I went and grabbed the tissue, picked up the squirming disgusting centipede, took him over to the water bath, gave him a quick rinse, then took him out front and put him outside on the night sidewalk. Not sure the dude will survive but maybe after the water bath he can live through this. He is a lucky fella, yesterday when I was setting up the trays I found a drowned spider, that's a common occurrence. This centipede lucked out, I came in to work in the dark and saved him from drowning.