Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Little Baby Boy

My favourite photo of all time is not one I have taken, it's not one any famous photographer took, it is not image hanging in a museum, it is a simple snapshot taken by my mother. The photo is of my father, a youngish man of 32  leaning over a bed. and looking down. My father has a look of absolute joy on his face as he crouches over a small bundle laying wrapped up on the bed. He looks so happy, so joyful so content. The picture was made in May of 1964 a month after I was born. In the bundle on the bed I lay all wrapped up, a tiny baby. It is a photo that shows the absolute happiness and love a father feels for his young baby boy. It is my all time favourite photograph.

When my father passes, I will not longer have a dad and the feeling my father felt for me his whole life will be lost. It's scary not be that little son anymore, to not have my beautiful father watching over me, it is scary to have to move on in life alone without him. You wish you could freeze time, a part of you always wants and needs someone who knew you as his little baby boy son, that will change now, be gone forever. I will only be that middle aged guy, that old guy now, no longer the beautiful little baby boy.