Sunday, June 15, 2014

Photo Story: Photo Club Members, Canada 2012

This photo was created with a Hasselblad Xpan and Tri-x. I have trouble figuring out compositions that work with this tool, long rectangle portraits with many people like in this picture seem to work fairly well. I wonder if I could use this camera successfully in Asia in places like the dump, the panoramic view could tell a more complete story if it is used right, maybe a combination of family members or parts of the dump, machinery with workers etc.

The guys in the photo below are part of a photo group I left as a result of creative differences, I felt I did not belong and was out of place in the group. They are a nice bunch of guys who enjoy spending time together socializing  and sometimes shooting but it was not my cup of tea, I am more a shooter than a socializer.

I liked the mottled lighting in this shot and the rather glum group expressions. Believe it or not they were having fun and these National park outings where this photo was taken were enjoyable. Sort of a fun portrait, it makes me want to try shooting multiple Xpan panoramic groups in the bars, dumps and slums of Asia. I need to experiment and keep working with this camera, slow shutter shots with motion might also work.

Photo club members National park area, Canada 2012