Saturday, June 28, 2014

Funding My Future Photography, Hopes

With no money, zero dollars coming in from grants, shows or print sales, I need to find other sources to fund the making of my photographs.

I will be selling quite a bit of unused gear in the next 10 years, I can use the money to help pay for my time in Asia allowing me to make more pics! The money from the equipment will not be that much as it's film gear but anything that helps is a plus. All the spare money I make in security, the selling of old gear and the workshops will go towards the creation of new imagery. I cannot wait for the grant deciding/print buying art experts at the AFA (Alberta Foundation for the Arts) or for paying mid level galleries to accept my submissions. I need money to make pictures now not later, if I have to fund the pics 100% myself then that is what I will have to do.

I have 3 workshops coming up, and another possible 4 or 5 in the works. All the money from those sessions will go directly back into darkroom supplies and film. Having another way to make money has been a real bonus it allows me to save a bit more security pay. Little by little I am putting away security money with the hope of eventually working only part time and making photographs part time. Imagine all the stories that I could try to tell and all the work I could create if I had more time to shoot. My goal is to work and save towards making that opportunity a reality. My hope is to have the financial freedom to make pictures each and everyday of my life. I can eat cheap, live cheap, do everything cheap as long as it gives me the chance to create my pics.

No money excuses are allowed, only hard work and sacrifices going forward for me. I will do without other things in my life so that I can continue to make my photographs and tell my stories. I do not have children, do not smoke, drink, gamble, do not have a big house or a new car etc, but I do need to make pictures. Photography gives me a reason to be alive, a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to dream. I will work as hard as I can and funnel all my resources into the making of pictures for as long as I can.