Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Photo Idea: Migrant Workers In Thailand

After reading this story on migrant Cambodian workers:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Exodus-hits-agriculture-construction-sectors-30236592.html

I was reminded of some photos I made last trip. These two men are both migrant workers from Cambodia who were living and working in Bangkok. I made the photos not more than 1 block from my hotel room. What if I did a series of portraits on migrant workers in Thailand, Cambodians, Burmese and Laotians! That might be very exciting, very meaningful. I could give a voice to another often forgotten group. What to call it? "Landless Workers" "Migrants"?  I might call it whatever slang word Thais use for these hard working people, I am sure there is something. maybe a negative word I can change to a positive.

Migrant Cambodian worker #1, Bangkok Thailand 2013
Migrant Cambodian worker #2, Bangkok Thailand 2013

F-ck! I got to get my ass to Asia and make pictures. We have only so many opportunities in life to chase down our dreams, to do what we feel is important. I do not want to end up one of those grumpy old gusses who is bitter at the world because he did not have the courage to follow his hopes. I need to push myself and get over there soon. I need to work on "Families of the Dump",  "Klong Toey Slum", "Muay Thai Boxer", "Migrant Farmer", "Street Kids", " Cycle Rickshaw Driver", "Khon Thai" "Lost Innocence" and now "Migrants". Heck that's enough photography for 2 or 3 lifetimes.