Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Continuing Adventures Of Jack, The Most Generous Guy Around!

I went over to Jack's place today to get the two large cabinets and he ended up giving a bunch more of his darkroom equipment. I got free from Jack his most prized enlarger a Durst 1200 4x5 with 2 heads, a  colour head and a condenser head. There was also 2 large boxes of extras, that included lens boards, neg carriers 10+ bulbs for the 1200. Jack also gave me 2-20x24 boxes of Ilford warm tone matt paper and some other papers. Tomorrow I go back again to pick up the second cabinet and a small film fridge which I will put in my darkroom. Am a bit speechless by it all. A few days ago I was reading about the master printer Michel Karmen and how he loved  and promoted the Durst 1200 enlargers, and now I picked one up for free today from Jack, pretty amazing shit. This 1200 might become my main enlarger for all my 35mm work, it has a brighter bulb light source (for my dense negs) and is rock solid steady for sharper better prints. These three Durst enlargers, now I have the 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5 might be the best engineered most reliable well built enlargers in the world.

Jack does most of his work digitally now but if he ever needs to use a darkroom he can use mine. You got to love digital photography, it has allowed lowly security guard paid Gerry to have the best film equipment every made. I use, Leica, Hasselblad, Linhof and now Durst. Go digi!!! No excuses Mr. Gerry, time to create important work! Were all in now!

Update* I forgot to mention Jack also gave me 2 timers, one to use with the enlarger and another cute little Grablab dial timer that would work great n Thai (with a power transformer to 110 - 220).