Monday, June 30, 2014

First Advanced Darkroom Workshop Went Well And Other Stuff

My first advanced darkroom workshop went well yesterday. We covered different developers and fibre photo paper options. We dealt with different dilutions of Selenium toner (Stu was not interested in learning Sepia toning) and archival processing procedures for fibre prints. The funnest part of the day  was to bleaching with potassium ferricyanide. We worked together for around 5 hours, I tried to let Stu do as much hands on work himself as I could. The $180 cost for the workshop will go towards buying a nice big box of Ilford warm tone 16x29 fibre paper.

I am not sure how many different workshops I have taught now, I think it's around 13 or 14. Hopefully I can teach more of the advanced darkroom classes in the future, they are quite fun, teaching more advanced techniques is always more challenging. I have 2 view camera workshops coming up in July and August with Doug and Kelly, those should be fun. I might also be giving wet plate, darkroom and part film development/scanning workshops later this summer.

Tonight it's back to work in my security gig, the savings for my 6 month on, 6 month off photo life is coming around bit by bit, thou I have a long long way to go. Everything is at least 3 years in the future maybe more.

I sent a second email inquiring into becoming a metro/continuing education photography teacher with larger classes but that seems to be going no where, no response from those folks. To bad it looks like a no go, I am starting to really enjoy this teaching gig, spreading photo knowledge is one hell of a lot of fun. I love photography so much and I think that joy comes across in the teaching. Many of my students tell me they enjoyed their sessions and learned a lot, most sign up for at least 2 workshops so thats probably a good sign as well. After they take the first class they are interested in a second and sometimes a third.

I am thinking of other workshops I could give, medium format? street photography? documentary photography? using a 8x10 view camera? wet plate? portraiture? nudes? Then there are other options to make money through darkroom rentals, b/w film development, medium and large format  colour neg- transparency film development. Anyway I can figure out to make a few extra dollars to help with the savings towards my 6 months in Asia photography plan is a good thing. It's all win win stuff, promoting photography and giving myself the ability to make pictures 50% full time in Asia.

If the arty farty art experts do not think my work is worthy of grants I need to earn the funds myself. After I have the doe I can throw myself into my photography 1/2 full time. I have never been shy about working hard to get an opportunity and if that's what is required, then that is what I will do. The 2 things I think of daily are dads sad present condition and my photographic dreams of the future. I can do nothing to help my father but my photo dreams of the future will become a reality.