Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Van Gogh Museum

The Van Gogh museum was a truly amazing experience, a highlight of the Europe trip, a highlight of this 6 month trip away from home, heck a highlight of my life. So much beauty, so much wonder, so much suffering, it it is hard to put into words what I felt and saw on viewing his works.

I was able to get a small chair from the people at museum then to plant up front of all the major works and study them up close with the help of the audio guide. It was a great experience all round!! One I will keep with me for years to come. Sometimes getting gout in your foot is a good thing, it got me using the chair which allowed me more up close face time with Mr. Van Gogh. The museum was very crowded so having the char and nudging my way up front then taking my time with each piece was vital. I probably spent 20 or more minutes each with  the works below. Ended up staying 3 hours in the museum

I saw the "Potato Eaters". Van Gogh's love of the people in the painting is so strong, the young woman on the left of the painting can see her future in the old lady at the right of the picture. There is so much gutsy reality to this piece, a documentary painting, similar to the documentary photographs I love so much. You feel like you are with them, eating their meager meal and sharing their lives.

Potato Eaters1885
I saw one of the "Sunflowers". I am not sure I have seen a painting with so much joy and beauty in it before. This sun flower is HUGE, must larger than the one I saw in London several years back. Viewing Vincent's sun flower is a wondrous experience that reaffirms the beauty of life and being alive.

Note* The grey of the Vincent signature and grey of one of the sun flower interior areas are the same. Could Vincent be saying he is one of the sunflowers? Is it a form of self portraiture?

 i
Sim Flower1889
I saw the "Wheat Field Crow" painting (one of his last). The painting is filled with pain, confusion, depression, even panic. "Wheat Field Crows" is a cry for help using all the tools of his mind and art. After looking at this compelling and passionate painting a tear came to my eye. He was all alone at the end, and in the end the painting was not enough, even his art, his love for the world, could not save him.

 
Wheat Field With Crows July 1990