Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bought A Used Version Of: VINCENT VAN GOGH: THE LETTERS: THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED AND ANNOTATED EDITION

I saw this wonderful set of books at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I really loved them, problem was the cost was $399 Euros ($650 USD new online) and the set was 6 volumes and very heavy. How could I afford them? How could I get them back to Canada?

Today I decided to treat myself and bought a used version of  these books from Britain for $349 USD plus shipping (not sure the total cost of that just yet). I hope to use these books as an inspiration for my wet plate "KANATA" series. I will take them with me and read them as I travel the country doing my wet plate pictures in the years ahead.

A lot of money to pay for some books, but the inspiration, beauty and sheer joy I get from reading then will make me forget the cost pretty fast. I should be earning money again in April so can pay for these types of personal gifts again. These books are real beauties, that detail the heart of a beautiful and complex man. Spending money this way just seems right to me. Am not a boozer, or smoker, do not do drugs or gamble. But when it comes to art, when it comes to producing my photographs the money flows out.

I hope Vincent and I can spend many beautiful moments together in the years ahead. How cool would it have been to spend an afternoon with this man as he worked! Reading his thoughts, seeing his work, sharing his successes and failures in these 6 volumes of letters, is the next best thing.

Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters (Vincent Van Gogh Museum)
Vincent Van Gogh: The Letters, (Thames Books)

My Wonderful New (Used) Box Set