Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Photo Idea: Vastness: Wide Open Spaces

When I was traveling and talking to ULF wet plate photographer Kurt M in Bolzano Italy, he said something to me that I take for granted. He told me the thing that struck him when he was filming in the Canadian landscape (north of Vancouver) he was surprised how open and empty of, lacking of people things were. When your in Italy-Europe you have beautiful mountains (the Alps) you have wonderful landscapes, forests etc but everywhere, all the time there are houses, people, shacks etc. There is always a connection to human beings on the land. What struck Kurt about Canada was how there was none of that, just large and empty spaces.

That is something I think I need to focus on for KANATA, the immense size of the country, the emptiness of it all, a landscape devoid of people. I could do very large plates that show the overpowering beauty and solitude of Canada's lands.

Note* Along with wet plate imagery in positive and negatives. I need to shoot ULF film as well, probably 11x14 and 16x20.