Sunday, December 5, 2010

You Came Alone?

Whenever I meet and speak to Thais here in Klong Toey or in other parts of Thailand they are surprised I can speak a bit of Thai so I usually go through my whole story, explaining how long I have studied Thai, where I studied Thai, what country I am from, my age, job etc.

A number of times over the last few days (more than 20 times) I have gotten the surprised "FARANG!" called out with people pointing me out to family and friends. It happened today when a young boy called me out to his family. I went down the narrow sidewalk to their slum shack home and waied (Thai customary greeting of placing your hands together and raising them to your face) the grand mom who was sitting there with the rest of her family (daughter, gran daughter, great grandson? and great granddaughter?). They were very nice to me and loved to have photographs made of their youngest child. I made photos of all of them and then talked a bit before saying goodbye, they thanked me for taking their picture!

A bit more worrying question that has been asked 3 or 4 times is "YOU CAME ALONE?" when I say yes the men who asked the question seemed a bit surprised. I know there is danger here in Klong Toey, Father Joe's book warns of some dangers, and Thais I know like Khune Som Jit have warned me of the good and bad in Klong Toey as well. The fact that some Thais are surprised I came alone means that it is not a common thing to have a single farang walking alone in Klong Toey. I am not really that worried for my personal safety as I have always felt safe in Thailand but do worry a bit for my camera's. I carry a Leica M6 with a 28mm F2 with a value of around $4000 USD (some people have asked how expensive my camera is). Today I was carrying the Leica with my 4x5 and 2 lens etc. If I get my cameras stolen I will not be able to make the photographs I want to make and that's my only fear. I think the risk is worth the reward here, to be able to make some important photographs of the lives of people in Klong Toey, to be able to start the Khon Thai project here is well worth any danger my cameras might face!