Thursday, December 2, 2010

Baby On The Train Tracks

Photographed a young boy today in a slum shack next to the train tracks. The young boy played at a window as his mother and father worked. Later on when I returned the young boy walked barefoot among the garbage and nails/staples. The mother and father obviously loved their child and watched over him carefully while working.

I have noticed I tend to frighten babies here! I guess it is my size and skin color that does it, most babies start out curious but then that grows into a slight fear which then progresses to tears and crying. Often after a few minutes of having me around the mother has to hug and comfort her baby.

At one point today I was walking down a soi when a women in front of me about 55 years old with big black frame glasses (Buddy Holly like) turned around and started staring at me as we walked. The lady stared while walking for about 15 seconds until at one point she sort of lost her way and bumped into the people walking in front her. The whole thing was rather funny, I guess they do not get that many farang walking around down here. I have had that reaction in more remote areas of Thailand but rarely in Bangkok.