Tuesday, December 7, 2010

English Speaking Lady

Met a lady that could speak English in the slum. I was not sure if she was all there as her eyes, hair and behaviour was a bit erratic. The children that were near by also did not show her much respect (Thai children almost always show elders respect). When I started to talk to her I realized she spoke fluent English and as a girl ( she was in her 60s when I met her) she had lived in Washington DC. She had been a student for 7 years in Washington and also had a farang boyfriend.

How had she ended up back in the slum? What tragic things had happened in her life? How had she ended up destitute on the streets of Klong Toey?

She gave me some play money that she had in a plastic bag, he wanted me to give it to the children in Canada to play with. I made here photo, she was so thin, so haggard looking. She did not look like she would live much longer.