Saturday, December 11, 2010

The World Of The Blind

Over the last few days spent a lot of time watching, talking and photographing Weaw. Her world is so small now, she is often left to her own thoughts. She cannot be distracted by TVs or Books (brail books are to expensive for her). She cannot see the mountain nearby, he asked me the other day "Gerry what color is the mountain now?" I told her it was covered with beautiful green trees. Today she asked me "Is the sun shining?" Her only outlet is her phone and thankfully her computer which she can use to chat with and send emails, she has a voice software that reads where her cursor is with a computer voice. She is very fast considering how difficult the process of hearing everything first and then trying to find the one link that she needs. The only problem she has is logging on to the net, she has taught her grand mom to help here with that.

We had a talk yesterday about whether it was better to see and then loose your sight and miss seeing or is it better to be born blind and never to have seen anything so you do not know what your missing. I made the argument that it was better to have seen and remember the color blue and then lose that then to never have seen color in your life. Weaw did not look convinced, she must miss seeing what she saw when she had sight, terribly. She must miss it so much she even wishes she had never seen anything. When I first met her I said without thinking "Weaw it is nice to see you again!" she aswered back "Yes but I cannot see you!" she said it with a smile. Today when I left her I said "I will not say see you again soon (will return in 2 days) this time and she laughed and said "Better to say I will feel you again in 2 days!".