Monday, December 6, 2010

Flirting Eyes

I am currently staying in area of Bangkok where there are few farang males. Because of the lack of farang here I am a bit of a exotic species, sort of stand out in the crowd.

Tonight when I was at the mall eating my Thai food and KFC fish burger I accidentally seated myself near a walkway that led to the ladies toilet (in Thailand washrooms are called toilets). As I sat and ate a number of times I was looked at with flirting eyes. It is a quite common phenomenon here for farang males. You notice the flirting eyes thing the moment you arrive at the airport, sort of like you've become more handsome after 24 hours, 3 planes and travelling half way around the world. I am at best an average looking middle aged guy but tonight at the mall I got the flirting eyes treatment from 3 or 4 girls in their mid to early 20s. One girl after I asked her how to say the word "grapes" in Thai gave me 3 flirty looks before I left the supermarket.

I can understand why many farang males that come here go a bit nuts chasing women. Not sure I understand the fascination from the Thai woman's point of view. It might be partly finding someone different and unique, it might partly the perception that farang have more money or maybe the girl is just flirting in thought only and does not really want a relationship.