Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blang's Story

Been thinking these last 2 days of the last girl I photographed using the ring flash and color film. Her name was Blang she was 22 and very pretty. At first Blang was unsure of me but by the time we finished making photos she was happy and comfortable. She told me a story in Thai about a 50 plus year old farang man who had been a customer, how he did not want to wear a condom, how he had hurt her during sex. I can see here eyes and face now as I type, I wonder what her future holds for her. The same night I photographed ladies who had been working as sex workers with farang for upwards of 20 years, even 30 years. I wonder now if Blang will be doing the same work in 30 years?

I wish I was more fluent in Thai I can understand more now than at during any previous time in Thailand but still feel like I have so much to learn. I want to be completely fluent so I can learn and understand people here better. I need to understand exactly what they are telling me and to then translate that feeling, that knowledge into my photographs.