Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sh-t!, F-ck!!, Oops!!!, Bought Me An Old Brass Lens

This morning before sleeping I accidently put in a nuch higher bid price than I intended on an auction. The auctioni was for an very old extremely rare Petzel type lens dating back to 1865. I later won this auction which was good! I paid way more than I intended, which was bad! The seller was out of Poland (my family heritage on my moms side is Polish) and the lens sold for a high $1494.34 USD (including shipping).  I overpaid big time (at least from my viewpoint) and buying the lens was an accident.

Maybe this is fate, I will give the lens a try, see how it performs in wet plate and go from there. The one advantage about buying these old lens is that you can resell them fairly easy over and over again. I expect I will be able to sell this lens near the price I paid in a year or two, heck I might even make a small profit. Hopefully this Oops, I screwed up moment will lead to some strong wet plate portraits-landscapes. Maybe this will all work out well in the end, who knows, maybe this is not an accident, maybe it was the photo gods of fate leading me down the right path. Imagine doing a wet plate photography project (1850-90s process) on Canada using a vintage/extremely rare brass lens from 1865! I see myself as a temporary owner of this historic rare lens. I will try to make some important photos with it before reselling it for others to use.

Even when I screw up, :(( ,  "Ain't Photography Grand!", :))))!

Here are the lens details.

Extremely Rare Wet Plate Large Petzval Type Vintage Brass Lens circa 1865

Next very beautiful camera lens from my private collection.
FOR SALE EXTREMELY RARE LARGE FORMAT PETZVAL TYPE BRASS LENS UNMARKED  
VINTAGE WET PLATE BRASS CAMERA LENS. Circa 1865

Wet / dry plate brass
 
camera lens in very good condition.

Lens comes with the 
mounting flange. 

An interesting patent the user of this lens. The rear lens is not screwed into threads. 

This is pressed into the barrel.

Very high quality.