Sunday, July 10, 2016

Link: Edward Curtis

I got a wonderful little $20 book at a tourist trap shop in Banff National Park. The book deals with Edward Curtis's Alberta/British Columbia legs for his grand and epic "North American Indian" project. So far from what I have read I love the book, I enjoyed learning more on Curtis and have been pulled in by great pictures, especially Curtis's head shots of various people from different tribes. An amazing photographer with a total commitment to the lives of the people he was photographing. Has there been such dedication before to a life long project (30 years for Curtis), possibly Eugene Atget's work on Paris.

I will research this artist/photographer extensively. I of course knew who he was for years but I do not think I truly appreciated Curtis until these last few days. I can learn so much from him! I need to follow Edward Curtis's extreme example of dedication (obsession?), commitment and extreme hard work.

Note* The reproductions in this book are so so but the story and the photography is truly amazing.
Edward Curtis: "Above The Medicine Line"

Edward S Curtis: "Above The Medicine Line"