Saturday, September 20, 2014

Durst 1200 Enlarger Part 2

Gosh I have really started to love this new machine. The Durst 1200 is so bloody well machined, everything locks in and is set in stone. When I was making masks tonight I repeatedly took out and replaced the negative carrier, probably did it 7 or 8 times and the focus never shifted, everything stayed as sharp as the first print. I do not have to constantly refocus-check focus-adjust focus with this enlarger like I did with my old Saunders, I focus once and move on. Strangely enough I am starting to like the changing of the square filters as well. You do not have all the in between filter grades like you do with a dial system but the slowing down of the process that a filter door requires actually helps focus you a bit. It is like working a view camera because everything is so step by step in nature it forces your to think things out more clearly. I find that with these manual filters I am  do each and every step slowly and pro precisely, everything is so much more methodical.

I am going to try to get the 1 head I am missing for this enlarger. The head is called the VLS 501, it is a multi grade dial filter b/w head, similar to the one I have for my Saunders. I am not sure that I will use it but I love this 1200 so much I want to give all the heads a try. Durst is like a Leica, its just feels right, everything clicks into place securely and moves fluidly. It is an expensive enlarger and feels that way, most importantly it operates that way, so far working with it is pure joy.

If anyone out there in internet land is looking to buy a pro enlarger, I would highly recommend the Durst 1200. I would also recommend the El-Nikor 50mm lens for 35mm printing.

I better get to bed now its 417am and I have a full day of printing tomorrow, want to try to put in at least 10 hours.

Durst 1200 with condenser head, Agfa filters, Peak grain focuser and  Saunders 16cx20 easel