Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Violence In Thailand, Making Photographs?

Today 4 people were killed as part of the protests in Bangkok, the violence seems to be escalating. The protests in 2010 lead to many deaths (maybe as many as 100 people) including the death of a Japanese photographer who was covering the story. If I am in Thailand when the protests erupt and there are major confrontations I would like to photograph them. I would probably need to buy some kind of body armour and military style helmet to offer a bit of protection from shrapnell. I am not sure where or how to buy that type thing and the cost might be prohibitive for me. Moving in that gear in the Thai heat might also prove problematic, but then so would getting a shrapnel belly wound. If I did photograph this subject it would be smarter to wear the protective gear.

Here is the story on todays killings:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/17/world/asia/thailand-protests/

Bright purple journalist body armour, complete with groin protection and helmet