Thursday, February 20, 2014

Darkroom Day 30 And Going Strong

Well today is the 30th darkroom related work day in a row and I am still going strong, today I am having a very nice darkroom work session. I have 60 days to go and I do not see any reason why I should miss hitting the 90 days in a row darkroom work goal.

I have a photo acquaintance who has told me he can not work in the darkroom unless he was inspired and felt the need (that's code for not doing it very often). For a long time I agreed with him, I needed to be in a mood to print etc., I felt the same way. I think now thou I was just making excuses, we always make some kind of excuse or other to rationalize our lack of commitment to our craft. The only way to succeed at anything is hard work, repetition and commitment. In other words if you want to be a great darkroom printer, get off your lazy ass and get into the darkroom and work!

If I want to improve my printing I need to put into the hours, I need to learn (online study, books, workshops), I need to develop my craft and I need to work consistently as often as is possible. If I can work everyday in the dark for the rest of my life I will be a hell of a better printer then if I work 1 or 2 days every couple of weeks. No more rationalizing my laziness, I need to work hard to be good.

Now it's back to the darkroom to start work on the third neg of the day. I will make up some 11x14 burning masks.