Monday, February 24, 2014

Dream Photo: My Own Mother With Child

While printing the last two photos both mothers with their children I was reminded of one dream photo I hope to make someday. A common theme in art is the "Pieta", Jesus dead in his mother Mary's arms. Great artists through out the history of art have created wonderfully powerful and moving images based on this theme. Eugene Smiths greatest photograph is of a mother holding her inflicted daughter (Minamata disease), her face glowing with love. Some time in my life I hope, I dream of making an important mother-child photograph, one that communicates an important universal message of love, hope and compassion. My photograph will not be in the class of the works below but I hope it can still be an important photograph.

Here are some other great mother child works that came immediately to mind as I wrote this blog, starting with the grandest of them all the "Pieta" by Michelangelo:

Pieta by Michelangelo Buonarroti 
Tomoko in her bath, Minamata Japan by W. Eugene Smith
Mother and child Korem refugee camp Ethiopia by Sebastiao Salgado
Mother with child Biafra by Donald McCullin