Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Crayfish Update

Remember a while back I told you about my Buddhist making merit thing where I rescued some crayfish from the local Chinese grocery store, they were heading for frying pan. I divided up the crayfish that were still alive when I got them home and split them between my bigger basement tank and my small darkroom tank (yes I have a fish tank in my darkroom!). All the crayfish in my bigger basement tank died, I think the water was to cold for them (heater broke a while ago so have been using a smaller style heater). Three of the crayfish in my smaller darkroom tank have survived, they are eating, seem to be doing well and have even started fighting amongst themselves (normal healthy crayfish behaviour). Were at 11 days and they are still going, every day is a bonus for them, and heck their fun to watch and they keep me company in the dark. I am kind of surprised that 3 survived, its a good feeling watching them truck around the darkroom tank. Sometimes when I am in the darkroom printing I look over and one of the crayfish is watching what I am doing, it was quite a journey for him, from lake Tahoe in Nevada, to the local grocery food for sale section ($5.99 lb.), to my darkroom and the red safelights.