Monday, June 3, 2013

More Boxer 4x5 Portraits

I like the 90mm better than the 150mm or full figure portraits but I need to work on my composition some with this lens, it seems I often shoot to far or do not place the figure quite right in the frame. I was looking at August Sander's German portraits again yesterday, quite often Sander would place his subjects feet near the bottom of the vertical or partially out of frame. I prefer to have the feet in the shot with a bit more space than the bottom two images here, with that space there seems to be a bit more balance to the photograph. I also need to be more selective in my subjects (try to find really strong people and landscapes to shoot) and try to not overshoot, maybe 2 or at most 3 sheets of film per subject portrait. My 4x5 portraiture continues to improve but its a slow methodical type process.