Monday, June 10, 2013

Beautiful People

One of the first things I realized when I picked up a camera and started making pictures of people was that it opened doors into the world of my subject. I got to learn about the person I was photographing, they told me about their lives, their feelings, sometimes their inner thoughts as we made pictures together. People have always been fascinating to me, why they do what they do, what they believe, what motivates them, what makes them tick? With a camera in your hand you have sort of an invitation into the lives, into the worlds of others, it sort of gives you licence to enter a forbidden place.

The more photography I do, the more deep I get into different lives, cultures, experiences the more I want it, its like an insatiable addiction. An addiction to learn, to understand, to create and to tell stories. One experience feeds on another, it fascinates me, drives me to work harder and it makes me want to tell others (some call it sermonizing) of those experiences, through the photographs, shows, online galleries, emails, blogs etc.

I was thinking today of something that happened to me on one of my last days in the dump in Mae Sot. I was standing photographing some adults walking on a road with the garbage as a back drop when 3 young children approached me. These youngsters just ran up smiling and started hugging my legs, I was sort of surrounded and when I looked down they just laughed and smiled up at me holding tight. I tried to make pictures of them but they were sort of embedded in my legs and I could not move without making them fall, so I sort of just smiled and they laughed and smiled and this went on for 3 or 4 minutes. I am not sure why I am telling that story now but its a memory that just flashed back today and it seemed important. That is what photography of people is like you have these shared moments, these wonderful-terrible-sad-happy-exciting-compassionate experiences, things that stay with you forever and change you as a person and artist.

Photographing living breathing feeling people, is so different than doing inanimate objects, rocks, trees and the like. When you can speak to your subject, hear them laugh, see them cry it's more personal. When you feel and understand a tiny bit of their lives and then relate that in a creative way through your pictures, it's really something, its comes down to one word, BEAUTIFUL.