Sunday, June 16, 2013

More 35mm Only Thoughts

All the dumpsite 35mm and 4x5 film is developed. Last night I also finished scanning all the 35mm stuff but I still need to get the scanner working to do all the 4x5 negs. I will be posting another 20 or so more images from the 35mm work in the coming days. Overall I am quite happy with the Leica photography this last trip, now with my new super expensive lens I am thinking more and more of going only 35mm film next time. Gosh it will be hard to leave the 4x5 behind but it might help me in 2 ways.  The first way is I will be able to travel so much lighter and faster, carrying a 4x5 with full gear in Thailand is very difficult. The second way is "less is more" theory, if I concentrate on one type of film, one format,  maybe it will help me focus more on my subject and make better pics. Heck my idols Salgado and Smith were happy to use one format, why is it not good enough for little old Gerry?

Possible 5 week trip kit:

3 Leica M6 bodies
1 Leica M4P body
21mm f2.8
28mm f2
35mm f1.4
50mm f1.4
90mm f2.8
Portable flash (for completely dark rooms)
200 rolls of 35mm film, 75% Tri-x and 25% HP5 (testing HP5 for cost reasons)

Carrying 4 bodies might be excessive but I could keep 1 or 2 of the bodies in my camera bag for quick access to another lens or if I have a film run out with my other 2-3 cameras, I could quickly grab a loaded camera and keep shooting (I had 2 camera film run outs and missed shots last trip at least 2 times). I am undecided if I will take 3 or 4 bodies next trip, maybe I should try shooting some events here in Canada with 4 bodies to see how that works out.